Saturday, December 10, 2005

Caldendar N.0 and Web N.0

Many techies and fans are waiting for the final release of gCal. All hopes a potential revolutionalization of PIM (Calendar) by google's entry into this field would come true. And the new Calendar may very well supports AJAX, RSS, Any Sync, Tag, vCAL/CalDAV, and Integration with Gmail/Gmap/Gvite/Gevent/Gnetwork. The list can go on forever. Since Google keeps mum on this topic for a long while, it generates even greater market fanfares - Job well done for Gmarketing team. Jeremy Z. led an interesting discussion on what good features should be included in a good Calendar application, by Google, or if no choice, Yahoo etc. It seems all cadendar applications existing are good at solving one set of PIM management issues. No comprehensive one has yet come out. More fundamental issue is $$$. Yes, the money making model of a business centered around a Calendar application. Sure, convenience and usability count. But how much are you willing to pay for that? $5.00 buying a Calendar from Walmart and hanging it on the wall pretty much keep me busy all year around and do the trick of disguising me as a social being. So calendar (online, offline, web based, or embedded etc.) has to be co-existing with other offerings that make sense of paying installment each month. But what are those killer apps that also make Calendar lethal?

I see two potential improvements that may facelift current Calendar status:

First, Calendar tracks History-Now-Future. Our life and values can pretty much interwovened into either time sequenced or event sequenced trails. New Calendar can do a good job of enriching life values and keeping track of memoriable things which can be ZOOMed in and out easily;

Second, Fun to interact with. Calendar is a social playground. It's invaluable for family, friends, and even your work. I treat calendar as a loyal companion, so at times, it may understands me and call/sync/SSM/MMS/email/RSS me for sharing.

And my appetitie for a good calendar may never stop here since I am a needy being as well. So 100 years later, I may have a calendar chip embedded in my head so I do not have to sync with anything. Sending an email, no problem, I think, it writes and sends right away; Searching for events, no problem neither, even before I ask, it gets everything already in my head, I naturely know what's going on. PC, Cell phones, PDA, Sync, etc.? long gone. Could it happen?

OK. Let's see what google is baking this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home