Saturday, December 03, 2005

Another WMD: weapon of market and mass disruption

It has been a couple of days since I posted my previous piece of thought. During the down time, I have been thinking of all the large than life terms: viral marketing, tipping point, cross the chasm , U curve, S curve, L curve etc. etc. Last night, I watched briefly the Super Female Voice concert (the equivalent of American Idol) on Chinese TV and was quite amazed that a grass-root program like it can garner so much popularity. And the organizers were unknown prior to the launch. That did not seem to matter much since now they are well known everywhere in China. The economic power created by this program is enormous. The SMS messages generated alone passed 600M pieces. People in China love this program becaue it gives them a channel for Freedom of Express. Since then many similar online and offline programs are springing up. I call all of them Weapon of Market and Mass Disruption (WMD) since it is more potent than any viral/chasm/tipping marketing. One friend told me recently they are making Chinese version Apprentice and plan to broadcast it on CCTV. It would be very interesting how Chinese version Mr. Trump looks like. I am sure the program is going to be arractive since it fits the prelude of WMD. If you need to know what WMD is currently hot in China, please check out http://www.pacificepoch.com/ or chat with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home